August 25, 2021
The final phase of Hayfield Green in the West Oxfordshire village of Stanton Harcourt is nearing completion. The last two homes for sale are now available to view, which are highly spacious bungalows, located on the site of the former RAF Stanton Harcourt Crew Lockers.
The 1,278 sq ft Moat House and 1,539 sq ft Chapel House bungalows are the largest to ever be delivered by five-star housebuilder Hayfield. Both homes look over the wide expanse of Public Open Space, which features blast and air raid shelters, dating back to WWII. Now, the former RAF airfield has been transformed into 66 new homes, together with the restoration of the former Guardhouse, Water Tower and Bomber Training Building. The 21-acre redevelopment also includes a rich landscape of swale networks, native species planting, gateway tree retention, and the creation of inviting formal garden areas.
The Moat House bungalow is now available for £495,000, while Chapel House is priced at £525,000. Both stunning two-bedroom single-storey homes have a luxurious specification, ample parking and fore and rear private gardens.
Kelly Sharman, Sales and Marketing Director for Hayfield said: “It is so rewarding to the whole Hayfield team to see how our vision for the redevelopment of RAF Stanton Harcourt has been brought to life, immortalising the history for generations to come. The combination of the restored monuments and the remarkable open space – together with the quality of the 66 new houses and bungalows – has created a very special scheme that will stand the test of time. We are very excited to show prospective purchasers around the last two available homes and welcome the final new residents to Hayfield Green.”
The development’s mix of traditional brick, stone and render homes are heated by eco-friendly Air Source Heat Pumps. Hayfield’s £5,000 Armed Forces or Key Worker Discount is available to all eligible buyers, while the Government’s Forces Help to Buy initiative helps Armed Forces Personnel raise deposit funds.
The former RAF base is notable for having been a departure point for Winston Churchill for the pivotal Casablanca Conference in January 1943. Prior to that – in July 1941 – the Stanton Harcourt airfield was also a starting point for a bomber raid on the German battleship Scharnhorst.
A large bronze memorial plaque commemorating the 135 heroic men and women who served at RAF Stanton Harcourt in WWII was recently unveiled by Group Captain Emily Flynn, Station Commander of RAF Brize Norton. The poignant ceremony – which took place in July 2021 – involved over 100 local residents and school children. Measuring nearly two metres high, the plaque has been permanently mounted to the former Water Tower. It was designed and produced by military memorial specialists, following many months of research by housebuilder Hayfield, Stanton Harcourt Parish Council, and the RAF Air Historical Branch, based in Middlesex.
Andy Morris, Managing Director of Hayfield said: “We are immensely proud that there are nine buildings and structures – together with sections of the airfield runway – which date back to 1940 that you can see here today at Hayfield Green in all their former glory. It was very important to us when we first considered this development opportunity to find sensitive ways to retain and restore as much of the originality of RAF Stanton Harcourt as possible. The highly impressive permanent memorial – which names all 135 heroic men and women who served here during WWII – is a fitting tribute to this village’s contribution to securing all our freedom.”
Hayfield Green is located off Main Road, Stanton Harcourt, Oxfordshire, OX29 5RL. To book an appointment call 0800 048 4863 or email HayfieldGreen@hayfieldhomes.co.uk. More information on the development can be viewed here: https://www.hayfieldhomes.co.uk/development/hayfield-green